Sacred Seasons Liberty MMORPG Discussion General Discussion (SS1)

Best class for Solo'ing?

Talk about the game Sacred Seasons MMORPG

Best class for Solo'ing?

Postby NorthComet » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:15 pm

Wondering if there are classes better suited for soloing?
My first class was Arctic Soldier, but because of lack of heals, it did not do so well...
The Medicine Man had the best heals, but early on lacks good solid heals.. So still at a standstill.
Desert Bandits seam to be quite a catch, so maybe I will try that. I want to play a male class though, just because I hate being mistaken as a woman. :| So, Any suggestions?
NorthComet

Re: Best class for Solo'ing?

Postby TasteOfChaos » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:33 pm

lol playing as a woman character will not make you get mistaken for a woman... most of the time. And when you say solo play, i assume you mean just for leveling aspects. Are you looking long term or just initially? Because long term, i believe its the Clairvoyant because of the crazy SP growth and AT3. supa fast leveling for solo in comparison to other classes.
316 Shaman
TasteOfChaos

Postby estava » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:40 pm

Here are my achievements soloing what I could:

WHA/FF = around level 45 I think. Been a long time. I leveled up in the middle of it which was helpful. I never used the Sword of Thorns when I could. So use it as soon as possible.

SVA/A hero is born = soloed it around 115. I used some items for HP or SP from the Jona's quests. It was quite exciting, more so than WHA. :-)

BWA = It has been so long I do not even recall the exact level. It was before level 177, and I used a lot of skill whispers and a lot of miracles so I did not risk the run. It took me many hours as I took my time when running it.

BI = I managed to kill the first bear and a half of another one at level 177 with the use of an anchor before a friend joined me to get rid of the remainder bears. It was not as impressive given the use of an anchor, but it was the first time I could hit the bears a couple of times before they could get rid of me so it was fun nonetheless.

BRA = When I started the run, I was level 199. When I finished it, I was level 201. It took several hours and many skill whispers. This time I did not need to use miracles which was a relief in terms. I kept the chat informed of my progress and while many doubted I could run it to the end, I surprised even myself when I did get to the end of it.

CWA = Level 276 and I missed more defense for some battles as my weapon gave me only help with resistance which was indeed necessary for some of the hardest fights. Death Sword gave me 75 resistance and 0 defense. :-) Lesson learned, I need more defense when going to CWA or UWA...

UWA = to come, hopefully. :-)

Things changed since I soloed up to BRA, with the availability of stats hats and better weapons, these that are to be gone forever this weekend. So I can see how those stats hats used at level 50 could help a lot at soloing the early arenas and how once folks could get the better weapons they could grind everything to their hearts' content much earlier than I could.

I am a Desert Bandit level 364 and my only skill worth its existance is the Snake Juice II which I have been using all the time I run anything, either to keep me alive or to keep the folks with me alive. :-)

At currently I can heal up to about 8000 HP, 12 times with the standard SP I get. I could always use more Skill Whispers in case of trouble, such as when running UWA in the future. :-)

As a Desert Bandit I also get a considerable hit damage, as the Desert Bandit's attack is above average, which compensates for our lack of defense and resistance along with our improved healing ability. My weapon of choice for now, the Death Sword, is behind other weapons in terms of attack but I still hit hard enough to keep up within distance of the hardest hitters and their sometimes greater attacking weapons. Besides, some of the hardest hitters lack the cool healing ability of the Desert Bandit so we could always help each other. :-)

My suggestion for soloing is Desert Bandit, gold equipments, and Skill Whispers.
estava

Postby NorthComet » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks guys, I guess I will go with desert bandit, because I want to solo level, not solo all the time.
Should of stated that earlier, but I think I got the information I needed.
NorthComet

Postby Sampi » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:47 pm

Shaman is generally considered the fastest soloer along with Snow Bandit because of early AoE's. But any fast class will do.
Sampi

Postby Tasselfoot » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:25 pm

Do NOT go desert bandit... as mentioned, their skills suck. Their defense, HP, SP is mediocre... they're one of the worst classes overall. And yes, I know this personally... I have a 240s DB.

2 top solo classes are Hypno and Clair.

Hypno because of very high base def/res and 100% success def buff. Plus haste2 to make attacks slightly faster, average heals, and high SP.

Clair because of insanely high res, res buff, astral3, and mediocre heal. Very high SP, very low HP.

This is for arena soloing, not for solo grinding.... although Clair is the best class for solo grinding at high levels. SB is the best class for solo grinding between 150-350ish.

I'm also not biased on this... I don't have a Hypno or Clair.
I'm Tass. I ran http://www.flashflashrevolution.com for 4 years. Now I work as a professional flash gamer, making walkthroughs (http://www.youtube.com/tasselfoot and http://www.tasselfoot.com) and providing in-depth gameplay consulting.
Tasselfoot

Postby NorthComet » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:29 pm

Hm. Well, I'm still looking at all the posts, and hypno looks fun, high def has always been a favorite in my book.
NorthComet

Postby estava » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:33 pm

I once was trying to slack, so I thought I was going to get WHA/FF done for me by someone else and I was going to go to the end of it just to get the reward. This someone else was a Hypno level 35ish. Man, was he taking forever and I dare say he would not have done it without my help. So I had to go and get rid of the Aseenek... and keep him healed to the end of it so we both got it. It got to a point he was waiting for me to help him with the battles and I made a friend.

Greater defense characters, as I noticed later, make for great leechers in the underworld and probably in arenas such as BRA as their defense and sometimes their low healing ability get them to survive long enough to make it to the end of the dungeon and/or arena while the other folks get rid of the enemies.

Desert Bandits are no "tanks" or "half-tanks"... We are more like "snipers" or something. :-) Had I not created healing battles in CWA I would never have soloed it. And if I am going to solo UWA, I am going to create some healing battles as well.
estava

Postby Lorkas » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:39 pm

estava wrote:This someone else was a Hypno level 35ish. Man, was he taking forever and I dare say he would not have done it without my help.

Are you trying to offer this as a counterpoint to the suggestion of hypnotist as a solo class? If so, don't be ridiculous. Level 35 isn't high enough to see the strength or weakness of any class. To give you an idea, I soloed BRA at level 197 on my hypnotist, and it took me only 16 skill whispers and 75 minutes to do it. You say that you soloed BRA at 199 but it took you several hours. I don't know how long it takes you to solo BRA now, but it takes me 42 minutes and I don't have to use even a single healing spell on a solo run (level 360+).

I don't know what level you are now, but I'd be happy to compare classes with you more completely. DB definitely has some strengths (stronger than hypno in single-hit damage, for example) but DB is not, by any stretch of the imagination, better at soloing arenas than the hypnotist is.

To temper this post I will say that hypnotist doesn't seem to have many skills to contribute to a group in an everyday training arena grind, other than a healing skill. Our haste is meh and we do low damage, so our only real contribution is not taking very much damage and giving teammates a medium-good heal now and then. The exception is in strong ATT battles, where we can cast a good DEF buff to help protect our group.
Lorkas

Postby estava » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:53 pm

When I soloed BRA I did not have any stats hats or level 140-ish weapons. Did you have any of those?

Of course I need to heal when soloing BRA as its part of the fun given by the nature of the class. I soloed all the underworld quests when I got to the underworld for one thing by healing myself with the use of skill whispers when needed.

You never said you soloed CWA yet, or whether you are going to solo UWA before getting to level 500 or something. :-)

I can definitely see how a Hypnotist around level 200 is strong enough for soloing BRA and BWA and DFA. Give it a Sacred Weapon and he is great. Give him a platinum axe and he is good. And so on.

My weapon of choice gives me 120 of att, 75 of resistance, and I have used it to solo CWA at level 276 and BRA like dozens of times. With the Sinister Bow as well I could have probably made it even easier some of the battles. I have soloed BRA like a hundred times or so. At least it feels like that many. :-) Now I enjoy running some groups in BRA like anyone else, and I have paired with some level 200-ish folks and tried to keep them healed for the entire run...

I do not know how to compare our classes. I am happy with mine.
estava

Postby Lorkas » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:35 pm

I haven't attempted to solo CWA yet, nor am I impressed that you spent 4+ hours and thousands of items to do it yourself (aside, of course, from being impressed with your perseverance). My class could quite easily accomplish that feat with items, but I don't consider it a solo of significance unless you are doing it in a reasonable time and without overdosing on skill whispers. I'll let you know when I successfully solo CWA without items, and you can see if you can replicate the feat. Unless, that is, you do that before I do, but I doubt that will happen given that hypnotist's area of excellence is survival rather than strong damage or extremely helpful skills (we are, by the way, exactly the same level as of this posting, so it would be rather easy to see who can solo better... just send us both into UWA solo and see who gets farther without stopping to refill SP).

You have also made my point for me, incidentally. You say

estava wrote:Of course I need to heal when soloing BRA as its part of the fun given by the nature of the class.

My class solos the arena without needing a single healing skill, while you say you currently use healing skills. This means that, if BRA were an infinite arena where we could just go as far as we could, I would be able to make it farther since the first 49 rooms don't even tap into my SP. It's easy to see that this would result in you running out of SP earlier, and dying unless you stop to use SW's, while I'm continuing on dealing less damage, but taking much less at the same time. Again, let's don't be confused: this doesn't mean that hypnotist is a "better class" necessarily, it just means that he is better at this one aspect of the game. DB has better damage, better healing (albeit fewer casts of it) and dodges much better than a hypnotist does, so both classes have strengths and weaknesses.
Lorkas

Postby estava » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:52 pm

Well, I jumped into the topic as I jumped just because it was about soloing and also because I have had such a vast experience soloing things for so long in this game.

Few folks can have said they soloed more than I have... To each his own and everything.

Sometimes when I am in the middle of running BRA solo once again I catch myself thinking "why am I doing this, it has become so undaring..."

I do not recall the last time I died in BRA... And I am sure, neither do you as a Hypno. The only thing in common we may have is that we both would die in PGA or UWA when running with the usual level 300ish folks, only you would need healing less often, and as a healer I would find that awesome. :lol:

Aside from UWA and PGA, I am out of challenges, and UWA is the only thing I can reasonably expect to solo within a day's time and lots of skill whispers. :-) Say I find out it's impossible for me, the journey will have been worth the trouble already. For the record, I have never been to the second room of UWA, just like when I soloed BRA I had never been to the 3rd floor or something. :-) I think I have been to the 5th floor of PGA and that has made me appreciate UWA more so...

I do not want to compete with your tankness, I just want to snipe things out before they get me out.
estava

Postby NorthComet » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:56 pm

Well, I think the Hypno has won the war. I'm sorry, but I LOVE me a tank.
NorthComet

Postby estava » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:58 pm

Have a good grinding time NorthComet. :-)
estava

Postby Lorkas » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:06 pm

estava wrote:Sometimes when I am in the middle of running BRA solo once again I catch myself thinking "why am I doing this, it has become so undaring..."

Same here. It's still the best unless you have a group, though, so I stay there unless a group comes along :|

Perhaps we should friend up to make it easier for both of us to get out of BRA more often. My ign is the same as my forum ID :D
Lorkas

Postby NorthComet » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:25 pm

Lorkas, I'm confused who you are inviting for BRA runs, as I am not starting my Hypno until early sunday morning.
Even then, If i attempted BRA, I'd get destroyed, pleveled or not.. So, who were you inviting? ;)
NorthComet

Postby Lorkas » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:45 pm

I was responding directly to something estava said. I was talking to him.
Lorkas

Postby AC275 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:57 pm

I'm a Desert Bandit, and it's been a success for me.
I have a skill named Absolute Hydration II that has 50% chance of refilling health. Also, their attack isn't that bad at all as well.
Desert Bandit is great, I just wonder why there isn't so many DBs in the top players list.
Sacred Seasons 2 account: AC25
Guild: TheJenovaProjectt
Guild Status: President
AC275

Postby estava » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:29 pm

AC, the healing ability of Desert Bandits makes us an asset for running BRA later on as many classes have no healing ability or they heal considerably less HP per heal than us. Also, we strike just as hard so besides healing we help with taking the enemies out sooner.

For example, yesterday I ran BRA with a clown and an arctic soldier and things like battle timer and "perfect storm" made the three of us need a heal each just to keep us afloat for the remainder of the arena, and I healed us all in 3 turns on the 6th floor and we were good to finish it.

What happens is that other classes such as the Pathfinder seem to be overall better healers (even more in terms of group) so they overshadow the healing ability of Desert Bandits as far as the top players are concerned. Even then, Pathfinders are just as "unpopular" or even more so than Desert Bandits and they have some similar weaknesses.

Desert Bandits are very popular which makes folks kinda angry at times as they would rather folks played other classes. :-)

I ran DFA yesterday with 3 other Desert Bandits (one of which had a Sacred weapon) and another guy who did not have gold equipment to speak of. It was awesome helping us all get to the end by healing the folks who needed it so we all made it to the end. I am generally fond of helping other Desert Bandits and our healing ability helps with our sharing of love. :-)

Some of the top players started playing this game when the equipments offerings were not as rich so they have grown a lot of fear of playing with certain classes of which the Desert Bandit is just one more. With the newer equipments some of our weaknesses have been slightly offset (for everyone, including the very top players) and there are more Desert Bandits making the headlines these days so depending on how happy we are with our Snake Juice II and the challenges we are offered, expect folks to keep growing at the top of the lists.
estava

Postby Tasselfoot » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:04 pm

For the last time... DBs suck. Plain and simple. Please, stop trying to tout them as anything other than being better than clowns. As mentioned, I spent 240 levels as a DB... I understand what it's like to play them. They have nearly identical stats to SBs, slower timer, identical normal healing skill as SB (SJ, not AH)... except SBs is 150sp and DBs is 200sp, and as such the DBs does 33% more healing per cast (in terms of Heal/SP, they are identical). So, what is the difference between SBs and DBs? SBs have FD, a weak group att buff, and a single-person rate debuff. FD2 helps SBs level at low levels, FD3 at high levels. DBs have AH, which is a sure fire way to get yourself and anyone you're with sent back to Shik... 50% means you will fail half the time. And when you're low enough on health that you NEED to be casting it, well, 50% just doesn't cut it.
I'm Tass. I ran http://www.flashflashrevolution.com for 4 years. Now I work as a professional flash gamer, making walkthroughs (http://www.youtube.com/tasselfoot and http://www.tasselfoot.com) and providing in-depth gameplay consulting.
Tasselfoot

Next

Return to General Discussion (SS1)